The Downing Street Project / network

What do you think? 

Is it the responsibility of the family to care for the old and infirm or the government? 

- this is an area that needs clarifying soon, so that people in the third age can plan ahead, along with government and families. 

Tags: age, care, elderly, for, old, responsibility, the, third

Views: 48

Replies to This Discussion

I think that this is a seriously murky area - I can only speak personally and I feel that it is my responsibility to look after my parents as payment for them looking after me. But I know many people may not agree with this or feel that their circumstances will not allow them to take care of any family members in the third age. In that case I think there needs to be some kind of flat payment paied by the government something like tax credits that will allow poeple to access to some money which is tapered off or increased dependant on the amount of time that the older person is either in care or cared for by the family not sure exactly how it would work out - just an idea
Really murky! It seems that lots of families are more interested in wealth than health, and then there are those without money and or without family. So its not just a family issue. I do believe there has to be links to families and also that some of the family budges have to be reduced to care for and enliven the elderly once more. They are quite a plucky lot, as mentioned, with lots to offer. Some countries admire and worship the old for their experience. A big problem is getting the young to realize that they will be old. If people understood this, they would take action. Not at all sure about how to do this, but do know it needs teaching and preaching loud and clear. We , need to have a look at what goes on when kids are born so they can understand about life and the later part of it.
The difference between government workers and self employed. There is such a variance. People who are self employed / on low incomes are quite frustrated, having to support those who have had preferential treatment with their pensions. see you soon. c

r
Did you read the times yesterday? They were debating whether or not it is right that jurors should be allowed to continue working after they turn 70 years old? What do you think about that?
What did the Times conclude about this?
I think if people are mentally able and want to, then they ought to.
Thanks for bringing it to my attention, so much is going on at present for this group.
Today there is news that older folk are the fastest growing unemployed. Not good!

Monica Hall said:
Did you read the times yesterday? They were debating whether or not it is right that jurors should be allowed to continue working after they turn 70 years old? What do you think about that?

RSS

© 2024   Created by indraadnan.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service